Yunus Social Business Kenya
Yunus Social Business is a non-profit venture fund. We turn donations into investments in social businesses that provide employment, education, healthcare, clean water and clean energy to over three million people worldwide. We work in 7 countries around the world and have most recently launched our operations in Kenya.
We are looking for a dynamic and self-motivated team member with strong management, organizational and leadership skills to join our small, entrepreneurial team as Investment Manager at YSB Kenya. This position will be based in Nairobi and a working permit is required.
• Building up the investment pipeline by sourcing suitable social businesses with strong investment potential
• Performing due diligence on social businesses in our pipeline including validation of the business and financial model, preparation of Investment Committee meetings, determination of financing structure (equity and debt), preparation and negotiation of term sheets and contracts
• Continuous improvements of the due diligence and investment process
• Maintaining relations with Social Businesses in the portfolio, in particular
➢ Working closely with Social Business Entrepreneurs in the portfolio in order to understand their needs and provide them with on-going support to develop and grow their social businesses
➢ Ensuring monthly, quarterly and annual reporting is performed by the social businesses in the portfolio, ensuring due escalation of any issues (lack of reporting, underperformance, mission drift)
➢ Preparation of monthly local and quarterly portfolio reviews
➢ Continuous improvement of the portfolio management processes, including reporting and tracking tools to monitor and evaluate the social and financial impact, as well as the processes that ensure that adequate resources are matched to the needs of the entrepreneurs
• Supporting fund raising activities on a local level, such as drafting of Funder proposals as well as supporting on funder and donor reporting
• Participation in global work streams on a variety of topics contributing to the development of YSB globally i.e. working with team members in YSB Global Initiatives (Germany) and other country teams to support on a diverse range of topics including: development of new tools, processes and products, impact assessment, research etc.
• Close collaboration with the Global and East Africa team on fund related topics
• Any other activities dealing with the day-to-day or long-term business continuity and serving the purpose of advancing Yunus Social Business
Qualifications, skills and experience
An ideal candidate should display the following qualities, skills, and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area (Economics, Finance, Business, etc.); MBA or other advanced degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage.
• 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in one or several of the following fields:
o Strategy consulting – experience with SMEs is valued
o Investment Banking, Private Equity, Venture Capital or Impact Investing
o SME and economic inclusion programs of NGOs or Developing Agencies
o Previous entrepreneurial experience is highly valued
• Prior experience with financial and operational due diligence
• Numeracy, critical thinking, evidence-based analysis, efficiency and thoroughness, demonstrated by excellent academic qualifications
• Warm, ‘can-do’ and hands-on attitude with a strong team spirit in supporting the entire team
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced loosely structured environment and ability to adapt quickly as things change
• Significant experience working in Kenya and extensive understanding of the Kenyan context; experience in other emerging markets inside or outside of East Africa is a plus
• Comfortable working with an entrepreneurial and international team
• Diplomacy, negotiating skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• A high level of passion, entrepreneurial energy, personal initiative and responsibility
• An excellent understanding of “social business” and how this is related to other concepts, e.g. social innovation, social entrepreneurship, inclusive business, impact investing…;
• Familiarity and comfort with Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Apps or other similar technologies
• Willingness to travel outside of Nairobi, including to rural areas, as well as international travel on occasions
• Fluency in written and oral English is a must
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please send a CV with 3 referees and cover letter through the form below with the subject line “Investment Manager”, by 21st April 2018. If your profile is suitable, we will contact you for an interview.
Please note: Only suitable candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please check here www.yunussb.com/careers
If this job isn’t for you, but you know someone who might be a perfect fit, please forward him/her this position.